When does my pet need emergency care?
If you are worried and not sure if your pet needs emergency care, call Animal Hospital at the Shores at 847.842.5000 during our scheduled hours. Our trained staff will ask you questions to help determine if your pet needs emergency care or can wait to make an appointment. Trust your instincts when deciding whether your pet needs urgent care.
After Hours Emergency Care
Contact Animal Emergency and Treatment Center (AETC) in Grayslake 847.548.5300.
Contact Animal Emergency of McHenry County 815.479.9119
As an added benefit to you, if your pet had surgery or vaccines at Animal Hospital at the Shores and you have concerns or problems, Animal Emergency and Treatment Center in Grayslake will answer your questions or examine your pet at no charge if it is after hours and you are unable to reach us.
Seek emergency care immediately in these situations:
- • Ingestion or suspected swallowing of antifreeze, rat poison, human medications,household cleaners, fertilizers, pesticides, or harmful chemicals (Read more on poison)
• Trauma from a fall or being struck by a car
• Trouble breathing
• Unconsciousness or won’t wake up
• Vomiting and/or diarrhea for more than 24 hours
• Broken bones
• Bleeding from the eyes, nose, or mouth
• Blood in urine or feces
- • Collapses
- • Signs of extreme pain, such as whining or shaking
• Disorientation or bumping into objects
• Swollen abdomen that is hard to the touch
• Has gone more than 3-4 hours between delivering puppies or kittens
Links in Case of Emergency
- Animal Poison Control Center
- Animal Emergency Treatment Center -
- Animal Emergency of McHenry County -
Crystal Lake, Illinois -